Our first Speakers Series event took place today at Selby Library and was an educational look at the attempts to thrust creationism and intelligent design into public classrooms. The video is below. We'll add notes and references very soon. Please let us know if you enjoy this talk and what subjects you would like to see in the future. Thanks again to Tyne Hopkins Venzeio for her time and efforts on this!
I was a guest on the WSLR radio show Stratosphere Sarasota this morning and I'd like to offer sources for more information on the subjects that came up.
Creationism in Public Education:
- Butler Act: The Tennessee law that prohibited teaching of evolution and lead to the events in the Scopes Monkey Trial.
- Scopes Monkey Trial: The famous trial that found John Scopes guilty of violating the Butler Act (later overturned on a technicality).
- Tennessee 'monkey bill': Recent Tennessee law that opens science classrooms to the injection of creationism and 'teaching the controversy.'
- Schools teaching creationism and taking tax money to do so.
- The Revisionaries: Documentary which recorded events at the Texas School Board meetings which lead to insertion of pro-creationist verbiage in science textbooks.
- Kitzmiller v Dover: The landmark case that stripped the Dover School District of the ability to insert creationism into public school science classes.
- Of Pandas and People: The creationist-guided textbook which Dover attempted to provide to students and which popularized the term 'Intelligent Design.'
Town of Greece v Galloway:
- The case which determined that religious invocations before government meetings were legal but must be inclusive.
- An atheist gives invocation in Greece
- David Williamson gives invocation: David was the founder of the Suncoast Skeptics and delivered one of the first secular invocations after the Greece decision.
The Hobby Lobby Decision:
- The case which established the right of some corporations to refuse to cover some health care on religious grounds.
- Satanists protest 'informed consent' based on this decision
Dr. Oz Appearing Before Congress:
- Dr. Oz was called before Congress to explain why he endorses products with dubious health claims
- Green Coffee Bean sellers are charged by the FTC with deceiving consumers.
Suncoast Skeptics Speaker Series: