Further Info on Topics Discussed on Stratosphere Sarasota
I was a guest on the WSLR radio show Stratosphere Sarasota this morning and I'd like to offer sources for more information on the subjects that came up.
Creationism in Public Education:
- Butler Act: The Tennessee law that prohibited teaching of evolution and lead to the events in the Scopes Monkey Trial.
- Scopes Monkey Trial: The famous trial that found John Scopes guilty of violating the Butler Act (later overturned on a technicality).
- Tennessee 'monkey bill': Recent Tennessee law that opens science classrooms to the injection of creationism and 'teaching the controversy.'
- Schools teaching creationism and taking tax money to do so.
- The Revisionaries: Documentary which recorded events at the Texas School Board meetings which lead to insertion of pro-creationist verbiage in science textbooks.
- Kitzmiller v Dover: The landmark case that stripped the Dover School District of the ability to insert creationism into public school science classes.
- Of Pandas and People: The creationist-guided textbook which Dover attempted to provide to students and which popularized the term 'Intelligent Design.'
Town of Greece v Galloway:
- The case which determined that religious invocations before government meetings were legal but must be inclusive.
- An atheist gives invocation in Greece
- David Williamson gives invocation: David was the founder of the Suncoast Skeptics and delivered one of the first secular invocations after the Greece decision.
The Hobby Lobby Decision:
- The case which established the right of some corporations to refuse to cover some health care on religious grounds.
- Satanists protest 'informed consent' based on this decision
Dr. Oz Appearing Before Congress:
- Dr. Oz was called before Congress to explain why he endorses products with dubious health claims
- Green Coffee Bean sellers are charged by the FTC with deceiving consumers.
Suncoast Skeptics Speaker Series: